Thursday, December 1, 2011

Friday Fun - Meet author Angela Drake!


Help me welcome my friend and fellow ORA member, Angela Drake. Angela and I don't get to see each other enough, but keep up online:) 
You can find out more about Angela at her blog site http://angeladrake.blogspot.com/?zx=a5ec8d98ee39c2e9
But come on back and visit with us over a cup of French Vanilla coffee :)

Thanks for being here today, Angela.

Hi Jennifer!
Thanks for having me today. I’ll be around all day if anyone would like to leave a comment or question.

Where is your favorite place to write?
My favorite place to write is a café or bookstore coffee shop. It’s hard to do it locally because everyone knows you. But when you can sneak off to obscurity, it’s nice. The words seem to flow better when I’m not distracted by the household chores I feel like I should be doing instead.  I’d rather channel my guilt over a second cup of fluffy coffee than the dishes I didn’t wash.

What music are you listening to lately?
I am such an eclectic music listener. I write to music that helps feed the muse for my current WIP so right now it’s all about Texas music.

Tell us about your real life romance.
My real life romance is with my husband of 28 years, Bob. I always thought ‘I saw fireworks when he kissed me’ was hokey… then I kissed Bob and I seriously saw rockets. We are best friends and although we have individual interests, we can be just as happy doing things together. And when you have your husband around for three weeks at a time and you have a deadline, that ‘best friends’ part comes in hand. Only a best friend understands how important something is to you.

Tell us a little about your WIP.
My current WIP is something I’m targeting The Wild Rose Press Honkytonk Hearts series with. I’ve never ‘written for the market’ before so this is interesting. But at least part of it has to take place in a honkytonk in TX. I freelance for the Texas music industry and love my cowboys (who doesn’t!) so I’m really having fun with this.

What is your favorite writing conference to attend?
My absolute favorite, won’t miss writing conference is Ozark Creative Writers. It’s a intimate, multi-genre conference always held the 2nd full weekend of October. Some of the big name editors and agents have come in to take pitches and we have an awesome caliber of speakers every year. It’s affordable, informative and set in one of the most beautiful areas you’ll find anywhere. The Best Western Inn of the Ozarks staff have been hosting us for over forty years and are just wonderful to their guests. You feel special from the minute you check in. 

BIO:
                                          

     Angela Drake began actively pursuing a writing career twenty years ago. Since then she has won many awards for short pieces, partials and poetry. She’s published in art magazines, has a weekly newspaper column and is a freelance journalist.
                Kelly is a member of Ozarks Romance Authors, Sleuths Ink and Mid-South Writers Group.
     For eight years, she hosted a weekly workshop on AOL. She continues to moderate a yahoo group extension of that workshop, The Writers Zone, and is owner of the World Romance Writers and World Romance Readers loops.
When not writing, she speaks at conferences and enjoys time with her granddaughters, gardening, journaling, and a myriad of artistic pursuits. Her husband and best friend of twenty-eight years, Bob, supports her many avenues of creativity.

9 comments:

  1. Cowboy stories are just the best, aren't they? Best of luck with the Honkeytonk Heart work. And I agree with you about the Ozarks; such a beautiful and friendly place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angela.
    Great interview. Good luck with your pitch to TWRP. I am sure they will love it.

    Barb/BJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you Angela...you sound like a busy lady! I wish I could write in a coffee shop, but I think I would be the opposite of you and people watch, whereas at home I can easily forget about household chores. LOL

    Good luck with your pitch to TWRP in regards to your Honkeytonk Hearts!!!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cowboys definitely provide a drool-factor. LOL Thanks for the well wishes with TWRP. I think they're a great publisher and hope to work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela~
    Great interview! I wish you good luck with your Honkeytonk Heart piece. I'm sure TWRP will snap it up.

    I'm also in awe that you can actually write in a coffee shop. Not me as I'm too easily distracted by *people watching.* That's great inspiration for new stories, but lousy in getting a story finished. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angela,

    Gotta love a good cowboy. :) Best of luck with the submission to TWRP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lis! Thanks for stopping by. Counting on your critique when it's ready LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for being here today, Angela. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for having me, Jennifer. I've enjoyed meeting new readers.

    ReplyDelete