Thursday, April 7, 2011

Friday Free For All - Meet Author Yvonne Eve Walus!

Please help me welcome another fellow Wild Rose Press author, Yvonne Eve Walus! 

THE SEVENTH TABOO is a Paranormal/Futuristic read about finding your soulmate only to realize having him is forbidden. And ladies, this is a sweet romance, so if you're looking for something with less heat, here it is;)
You can find out about Yvonne's other works -- she also writes as Eve Summers -- on her website http://yewalus.kiwiwebhost.net.nz/
But grab a cup of coffee and come back to get to know Yvonne a little better!

Hi Yvonne and welcome!
 
Was your road to publication a delightful stroll in the park or a painful jog over hot coals?
Both, actually. It was easy to sell my romances: The Wild Rose Press picked up "The Seventh Taboo" straight away, and the editor requested only minor story changes. I found crime fiction more difficult to sell, even though many readers assure me they love murder mysteries. Conclusion: love pays better than crime.
 

If you could travel forward or backward in time, which would it be?
Forward for sure! "The Seventh Taboo" is about cloning people, and I'd love to find out how that really pans out.

What is most challenging for you to write: Characters, conflict, emotions?
They all have their challenges. Many writers will say that the characters have to come first, because their dreams dictate the conflict and emotions. However, I believe it's possible to create the conflict first, and to fit the characters around that. For example, in "The Seventh Taboo", I wanted to explore the notion of soul mates, and whether a carbon-copy clone would be your soul mate or worst enemy. I started with that and asked myself what type of person would get cloned, how they would feel about it, what could go wrong for them....

Do you believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely. The feeling might only last five minutes or a lifetime, but you can't deny the existence of that first-sight special spark! The first time I saw my husband, for example, was on our high school podium, receiving a trophy. And this thought came out of nowhere: This is the guy I'm going to marry. I was 13. 13! Five years and a few teenage crushes later, we were going steady. In many ways, he is my clone. In many other ways, he is my complete opposite. For example, he does not believe in love at first sight, LOL. But that's ok. Love at first sight believes in him.

 
Describe yourself in 5 words.
  1. novelist
  2. wife
  3. mother
  4. mathematician
  5. manager
(How's that for diversity?)
 
 
 
BLURB FOR "The Seventh Taboo"
 
You know he is somewhere out there. Your soul mate. Your other self. All you need to do is find him and you'll feel complete the way you've never felt complete before...
Except that finding him is strictly forbidden.
Finding him would break the Seventh Taboo.
And then, one night, you meet him. Every hormone and every cell in your body shouts that he's the lost half of yourself you've been searching for. Your logic disagrees. Which are you going to believe? The primeval instinct or your training? Your heart or your mind?
To what lengths will you go, what risks will you take, to prove to yourself that he is the one?
Enter the world of cloning, scientific experiments and toying with people's lives. Enter the world in which your every movement, online as well as offline, is scrutinized by your live-in Monitor. Enter the future which could well be ours one day.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad I get to be your first visitor, Yvonne! You're book sounds amazing. What a great idea. Another one to add to my long TBR list. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne~
    Great story. Love the premise.
    I know what you mean about love at first sight. When I first saw my husband, I didn't think he'd be the man I'd marry. I just felt this urge to meet him. Kinda the same but different. If I hadn't felt that need to know him, we wouldn't be married. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to meet you Yvonne! Your book sounds very interesting. And I love your comment "love pays better than crime". Great story about you meeting your hubby, and I agree that you can't deny that "spark" when you first meet someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The man I thought would be my soul mate turned out to not be. But then I found mine and it's lasted 27 years :-) Your thought on cloning is interesting. And you have the absolute best Blurb I've ever read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the premise of your book. What an idea! I've added it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a interesting concept for the book! Sounds great. Good Luck. Love your 'soul mate' story, too. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yvonne, I read your book back when it came out. Loved it. Awesome world building. I left you a review and read one that left me wondering what in the heck that gal read... There's absolutely nothing wrong with your piece. ;) I told everyone I knew to read it. Keep writing!

    http://skhyemoncrief.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww... you guys just rock! Thank you so much for your lovely comments. NY Times Bestselling Nalini Singh liked the book too, so you're in good company, LOL.

    ReplyDelete