Monday, November 1, 2010

True Facts Tuesday - Oh, Yes They Did! (Part 2)

Today we're going to continue our talk about those naughty Victorians. Last week I focused on letters written by Civil War soldiers to their (male) friends as they discussed their "activities" with women of loose morals. This week I want to quote letters from soldiers written to their wives/girlfriends and vice versa. I think you'll be surprised at the frank - sometimes bawdy - language they used.

Again, I'm reading from THE STORY THE SOLDIERS WOULDN'T TELL: SEX IN THE CIVIL WAR by Thomas P. Lowry, M.D., a wonderful reference book for anyone writing in the Victorian era.

Julia Higgins, 1863, to her fiance' Jim: I love you with all my heart and with all my mind and long to see you Dear Jim. My mind dwells on the treasures we will have when you come back, embracing each other on the sofa and bed. I never felt so good as I did the first time I laid on the sofa. I wish it would last - always it is my daily thought to think of you and the good feelings we will have when you come home. You must not let anyone see this letter. Lay it next to your heart.
Then the writer turned to the pregnancy of a mutual friend: She said she felt good enough when making it. If it felt as good as it did to me the first time you put it in the full length, it struck bottom, that is sure. I love you with all my heart and body . . . and will keep it closed for you. When you come home to break it open again it will be as tight as the first time you tried it.

Jane Goodwin wrote to her husband James( talking about their wedding night): . . .soon did I feel my delicate form embraced by his gigantic and robust one for a pillow and the other fondling with anxiety over my small but firm breastworks . . . you becoming more adventurous inclined your right downward you know where . . .better to ascertain the position . . .

James Greenlach, wrote to his wife Fidelia about his concerns regarding women left home alone: I have heard men when they are talking about old men being guilty of such {a} thing, that the older the Back, the stiffer the Horn and the women, some of them, appear to have the same disease. I hope you won't ketch it.

Jane Keeler to her husband Elnathan, 1864( she sent him a box a food with a note enclosed): Don't let that horseradish make your horny for I am not there you know.

Hey, who needs oysters or Spanish fly?  LOL
Join me next week for our continued discussion on the naughty Victorians!

All info from: The Story Soldiers Wouldn't Tell: Sex in the Civil War by Thomas P. Lowry M.D.
Published: Stackpole Books, 1994

2 comments:

  1. These are so interesting. I love reading the snippets of the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my stories is during the Civil War. I will definitely add this book to my research list. :-) Oh la, la.

    ReplyDelete